+ about me
Please excuse the mess, my blog seriously needs to get cleaned up one of these days. I have tags all over the place.
I’m Jasmine. I’m twenty. I live with four other people in a house way too small for five, but I’m moving into a quaint little two bedroom apartment with Michelle after the school year is over. I’m from London (or, at least, it’s easiest to say that’s where I’m from) and I go to Queen’s University in Kingston, studying History with a minor in French.
To cover the basics, I was born on February 16th. I’m an ISFJ. I have reddish hair, since my recently-dyed purple locks are fading (but they’re naturally brown), brown eyes, and a major sweet tooth. I’m an introvert and prefer to be alone for a while, but I do like people, I swear. I’m a dog person, but cats are cute, and guinea pigs are the best. I really want a pet bunny, though. I’m also fluent in French and English, English being my first language technically, but I started learning French with my dad very young. I went through the French Immersion program, which taught me to value education in the French language. In the future, I’m applying to graduate studies at the University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia for their Master’s program in Information Studies. I want to be an Archivist and a degree in Archival Studies will get me there. I also want to do research in the social history surrounding the memorialisation of peoples. A paper I had to write for my seminar class last semester triggered my interest in it.
Christmas is my favorite time of year, because of the lights and colours atop the clear white canvas of winter.
I simply cannot stand white walls, so mine are filled with posters on posters on posters.
I ship Finn x Flame Princess, Bubbleline, Takari, Taiora, Mimato, Cawser x Kevin McHale…
Music is seriously important to me. I can’t go anywhere without a song in my head or headphones on. My favourite band is Silverstein. I’ve seen them three times. I’ve been to a lot of concerts and have probably seen about 60 different bands, including local shows. I listen to various things, but most of it is Thrice, Underoath, The Dangerous Summer,
One Direction, Wally Tusk and the Film Club, Ed Sheeran, The Civil Wars, Daphne Loves Derby, The Helio Sequence, Jeff Pianki, Tegan and Sara, and Woodhands.
I knit. The most recent thing I knitted was my Finn the Human plushie with his Adventure Pack and Like-Like sweater (the one with the power of l-l-l-liking someone a lot).
Chocolate is my anti-drug. Terry’s Chocolate Orange, Smarties, mint chocolate, mint chocolate chip ice cream, Cookies n’ Cream, Coco Chai Rooibos tea, Mint Chocolate Rooibos tea…
Movies! I just adore movies and love way too many to list here, but my favourites are Sabrina (1954), Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Pitch Perfect, Inglorious Basterds, House of Flying Daggers, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, 13 Going on 30, The King and I, etcetera.
Shows! Adventure Time, Digimon (Adventure, 02, and Frontier), Lost Girl, Haven, The L Word, Chilly Beach, the Simpsons, Radio Free Roscoe, Ruby Gloom, Robot Chicken…
Musicals! Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat, Chicago, Rent, Spamalot, the King and I, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers…
I absolutely love literature. Novels, poetry, short stories, e-books, fiction, non-fiction, most stories latch onto me for dear life. I adore The Fault In Our Stars (for Augustus-related reasons, but also for metaphorical resonance reasoning), the Artemis Fowl series, the Harry Potter Series, the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, The Birth House, and the historical criticism book we’re reading for my seminar class right now, Warrior Nation: Rebranding Canada in a Time of Anxiety. My favourite book by far is Le Petit Prince. There are many reasons for why it stands above the rest but the main one is the allegory of the rose.
I have Acid Reflux, also known in the medical world as Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) and peptic ulcers. I was diagnosed in grade 9 after going to the hospital three times in one week, missing almost two of class, and having been treated for a ‘poor stomach’ my whole life. I get flare-ups (episodes) if I don’t take my medication, during stressful situations, or if I’m experiencing anxiety. It sounds like bad heartburn when I describe it, but I get bedridden for a day or two if I don’t take my medication or I eat something that irritates me too much. Never underestimate the power of my stomach.
I have a fear of heights, ghetto bugs (silverfish), enclosed spaces and crowds (but if I can see an exit or I have room to move around, I’m okay), and high speeds like roller coasters or going too fast in a car. There are a few others but those I’ll keep for when we’re more acquainted.
I want about nine tattoos so far.
- “Survivre” on my left arm just above my wrist, because it has various meanings for me. Survivre is my favourite French word, the verb meaning to survive, but also means the present I survive, something many know about in my life but only a few understand. Sur is underlined to emphasise ‘sur vivre’, or to over-live my life, sort of my version of a carpe diem mentality. Vivre is consequently not underlined to emphasise the living or live meaning to the tattoo.
- A dragonfly, designed by Nicole, with “This was not the history that made me,” on my right arm, because the dragonfly is a seriously personal symbol for me that literally no one fully knows about.
- The rose and a star from Le Petit Prince on my left arm along the bone below my pinky finger, because it means both that L’essentiel est invisible aux yeux and how I will one day find my rose among the stars. If you’ve read the book in any language, you’ll know what I mean.
- Jasmine flowers, somewhere, because… well, I think you know why.
- This drawing of Spyro the Dragon and Sparx the Dragonfly, somewhere, because they are another part of my childhood that just won’t go away.
- Something for my parents
- A sunflower for my late grandfather, because I always remember how he had this one large sunflower in his garden next to his shed, and he tended to it like it was his child.
- Something for my grandmother, somewhere, but probably something to do with crochet or British things or maybe even her signature from when she was younger. Hell, probably even some apples for her fantastic Apple Crumble.
- My stuffed bunny, Corey, somewhere, whom I’ve had in some way, shape, or form since I was a day old.
Welp, that’s about it. I just wrote a 1200 word essay for this about me, and if you actually read through all this, congratulations! You won! Click!
Wait, you didn’t read all that? That’s okay, just click.
Still want more? Well, I track bamboobones on tumblr. You can also find me on twitter @ohjasminec. As always, my ask box is always open. Seriously. Tell me about why George Brown and Sir John A. Macdonald totally had sexual tension or something.
See you around!